The detailed situation and burnt cable of the smoke coming up from common spent pool

On 1/24/2013, Fukushima Diary reported the smoke from common spent fuel. [Link]
Tepco released the announcement and photos of the burnt cable etc..

Fire Alarm Going off at the Auxiliary Operation Shared Facility at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

At around 10:46 AM on January 24, 2013, a fire alarm went off in the west side of the basement of the Auxiliary Operation Shared Facility (Common Pool Building) at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. Later, smoke coming out of the building was reported by a worker at the site. At 10:59 AM, the incident was reported to the fire department.

Smoke came out of the auxiliary power cable of cleaning equipment used to polish the floor during decontamination. As a worker immediately pulled out the power cable, smoke stopped coming out.
Since no fire or smoke was found at the site as a result of investigation by a TEPCO employee, the fire alarm was reset at 11:15 AM.

Then at 12:38 PM, the fire department judged the incident to be a fire and confirmed that the fire had been extinguished. The cause of the fire is to be investigated.

There has been no injury reported due to the incident. The incident has caused no impact on the plant conditions so far and the common pool cooling has been continued. No significant change in the monitoring post data has been found.

The detailed situation and burnt cable of the smoke coming up from common spent pool



Français :

Situation détaillée autour du câble brûlé ayant provoqué la fumée blanche sortant de la piscine à combustibles commune


Le 24 janvier 2013, le Fukushima Diary rapportait cette fumée à la piscine à combustibles commune . [Lien]
Tepco publie le communiqué et les photos du câble brûlé, etc.

L’alarme incendie s’est déclenchée dans l’Équipement Commun des Opérations Auxiliaires de la centrale électrique de Fukushima Daiichi

Le 24 janvier 2013 vers 10:46 AM, une alarme incendie s’est déclenchée à la base du côté ouest de  l’Équipement Commun des Opérations Auxiliaires (bâtiment de la piscine commue) à la centrale électrique nucléaire de Fukushima Daiichi. Ensuite, une fumée sortant du bâtiment a été signalée par un ouvrier du site. A 10:59 AM, l’incident était communiqué au département incendie.

La fumée est sortie du câble d’alimentation électrique auxiliaire utilisé pour lisser le sol pendant la décontamination. Comme un ouvrier a immédiatement débranché le cable électrique, la fumée s’est arrêtée.
Attendu qu’aucune fumée n’a été notée sur site durant l’inspection d’un employé de TEPCO, l’alarme incendie a été coupée à 11:15 AM.

Puis, à 12:38 PM, le département incendie a jugé que l’incident était un feu et a confirmé que cet incendie avait été éteint. La cause l’ayant provoqué sera recherchée.

Aucune blessure provoquée par l’incident n’a été rapportée. L’incident n’a eu aucun impact sur la situation de la centrale et le refroidissement de la piscine commune a continué. Aucun changement significatif n’a été trouvé non plus dans les données de la borne de surveillance.

The detailed situation and burnt cable of the smoke coming up from common spent pool

About this site

This website updates the latest news about the Fukushima nuclear plant and also archives the past news from 2011. Because it's always updated and added live, articles, categories and the tags are not necessarily fitted in the latest format.
I am the writer of this website. About page remains in 2014. This is because my memory about 311 was clearer than now, 2023, and I think it can have a historical value. Now I'm living in Romania with 3 cats as an independent data scientist.
Actually, nothing has progressed in the plant since 2011. We still don't even know what is going on inside. They must keep cooling the crippled reactors by water, but additionally groundwater keeps flowing into the reactor buildings from the broken parts. This is why highly contaminated water is always produced more than it can circulate. Tepco is planning to officially discharge this water to the Pacific but Tritium is still remaining in it. They dilute this with seawater so that it is legally safe, but scientifically the same amount of radioactive tritium is contained. They say it is safe to discharge, but none of them have drunk it.


January 2013