Tepco and METI downplayed the second fire of reactor4

Following up this article..Reactor4 had one explosion and 2 fires in March 2011

Tepco states the second fire at reactor4 started at 5:45 of 3/16/2011, and the fire was naturally “missing” at 6:15 (so does Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), but on the same day, Yomiuri newspaper reported the fire was not distinguished even at 10:00, smoke was coming up from the building.


Tepco and METI downplayed the second fire of reactor4



Tepco reported to NISA that they saw fire through the hole on the wall, which is made by the explosion on 3/15 [LINK]. They found  fire at the North-West corner of reactor4 building at 5:45 3/16/2011. Because the radiation level is too high, they can not get close, it is not known what is burning. Tepco reported it to the government and Fukushima prefecture. Tepco staff saw the fire missing at 6:15, but white smoke is still coming up from the building, the fire is not extinguished at the moment of 10:00. 4 fire-engines and 13 fire fighters tried to approach but can not go close. The fire was observed near SFP4. It is assumed that the water level decreased because of the heat by the spent fuel, fuel rods got above the surface to cause fire.

To inject water, Tepco was planning to corporate with Japanese self defense force and US army to use helicopter on 3/16. At 6:00, the wind blows from North West, wind speed is 2m/s.




The fire was not extinguished at least by 10:00 of 3/16/2011. It is not reported how much damage it caused to the reactor4 building.


Source 1 2 3



About this site

This website updates the latest news about the Fukushima nuclear plant and also archives the past news from 2011. Because it's always updated and added live, articles, categories and the tags are not necessarily fitted in the latest format.
I am the writer of this website. About page remains in 2014. This is because my memory about 311 was clearer than now, 2023, and I think it can have a historical value. Now I'm living in Romania with 3 cats as an independent data scientist.
Actually, nothing has progressed in the plant since 2011. We still don't even know what is going on inside. They must keep cooling the crippled reactors by water, but additionally groundwater keeps flowing into the reactor buildings from the broken parts. This is why highly contaminated water is always produced more than it can circulate. Tepco is planning to officially discharge this water to the Pacific but Tritium is still remaining in it. They dilute this with seawater so that it is legally safe, but scientifically the same amount of radioactive tritium is contained. They say it is safe to discharge, but none of them have drunk it.